When it comes to the podcast advertising industry, it can feel like there's so much to learn and that the information available is scattered across the web. It's hard enough to craft a marketing strategy, so we're making it a tad easier for you. Below is a list of resources that potential sponsors should find helpful as a first step into podcast advertising.
Backyard Media Resources - The Fundamentals
- What is a Podcast Ad?
- What does a Podcast Ad Campaign Look Like?
- How to Craft the Perfect Podcast Ad
- What's Happening in this Podcast Ad I'm Hearing?
- The 5 Things You Should Know Before Advertising on Podcasts
Backyard Media Resources - Listenership, Brand Impact and ROI
- What Do We Know About Podcast Listeners in 2018?
- How Big Could Podcast Audiences Get?
- Why People Listen to Podcasts Instead of Consuming Other Digital Media
- Why Listeners Respond to Podcast Ads
- Who Are Podcast "Super Listeners"?
- Podcast Listeners Are Engaged Listeners
- How Podcast Ads Impact Brand Lift
- What We Know About Podcast Listeners in 2017
Backyard Media Resources - Industry Trends and Developments
- Podcast Advertising Will Be Worth More Than $600M by 2020
- Here's Every Podcast Format in 2017
- Why Podcast Advertising Revenue Will Hit $500 Million in 2020
- What Did the Podcast Industry Learn in 2017?
- Here's How Fast the Podcast Industry is Growing
- When Will Dynamic Ad Insertion Take Over Podcasting?
- What Does Smart Speaker Technology Mean for the Future of Podcasting?
- What Does It Mean to be a Podcast Content Leader?
- What Apple's New Podcast Analytics Tool Tells Us (Apple Analytics Part 1)
- Podcasters Have Had Apple's New Podcast Analytics for Two Months Now. What Have They Learned? (Apple Analytics Part 2)
- How is Car Dashboard Technology Affecting Podcast Consumption?
- The Podcast Boom in Canada
Podcast Industry Research
- The Infinite Dial 2018 (Edison Research) - Edison Research's full digital media survey, including sources such as internet radio and streaming TV. (See Backyard Media's analysis of this research here)
- The Podcast Consumer 2018 (Edison Research) - The industry standard for understanding podcast audience demographics and habits. An extended portion of the Infinite Dial 2018 survey. (See Backyard Media's analysis of this research here)
- The Infinite Dial Canada 2018 (Edison Research) - The same survey, for Canadian media audiences. (See Backyard Media's analysis of this research here)
- The Podcast Consumer 2017 (Edison Research, Spring 2017)
- IAB Podcast Advertising Revenue Study (June 2017) (IAB/PwC) - Research of industry-wide podcast advertising revenue, including forecasts for 2017, as well as an analysis of podcast advertising trends. (See Backyard Media's analysis of this research here)
- Report on Public Media's Most Engaged Listeners (November 2017) (Edison Research/Knight Foundation) - Executive summary of a survey of the listening habits of 28,000 public media listeners. (See Backyard Media's analysis of this research here)
- Podcast Brand Lift Study (2016) (Edison Research/PodcastOne) - A summary of three studies done to measure how podcast ads positively impact likelihood to purchase, brand awareness, and brand recall. (See Backyard Media's analysis of this research here)
Podcast Industry News
- Nieman Lab - A news outlet focused on 21st century journalism, by Harvard University's Nieman Foundation.
- "Hot Pod" Newsletter by Nick Quah (also syndicated on Nieman Lab) - A widely-read weekly newsletter about developments in the podcast industry.
- IAB's PodcastUpfront - An annual one-day event for podcast advertisers and media buyers, with presentations and panels about developments in podcast advertising.
- "The Newsonomics of Podcasting" by Ken Doctor (September 2016) (Nieman Lab) - A five-part series on the growth and change happening in the podcast industry.
- Current.org - A nonprofit news service covering public media, from the American University School of Communication.